cache listing - beta testing [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 January 05 9:46 pm

Small anomoly.

HTML is allowed in the cache description (good to see you remove body tags). You may not specifically permit HTML, but you don't explicitly exclude it either.

Due to the way in which you parse the CRLF you insert a <br> character.

If the cache description is plain text, this is good, if it's HTML you don't want to be doing that.

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0085 is an example.

It's still a draft, so I presume i! can see it but the remainder of the community can't.

At the end of each line of HTML a <br> is inserted which causes the HTML to look rather different to what I expected as there are <br> at the beginning of each line.

Not sure whether you are allowing HTML or not, just thought I'd bring this to your attention.

One other thing (that seems a little strange).
I edited the co-ords and left the location unchanged. The new co-ords changed the location as if I'd left it blank for auto-location.
I would have thought that the location (if I entered it) should have been the location I wanted and wouldn't have changed based on the new co-ords.
Not sure if I'm being clear here.
It appears that when a new set of co-ords are entered, the location is reset as in an auto-location. I then go back and change the location and everything is as I entered it.
I see why this is done this way, but it may need an explanation that if you DO change the co-ords you MAY need to reset the location to one that you want. Make sense?

One other thing is that when you are done editing the cache you are sent to a page saying COMPLETE Cache Saved ...
To preview the page you need to click on the Cache Saved link. Would it make more sense just to go directly to the page you just edited and remove the intermediate link? Just a thought.

Looking good so far.

ideology

Post by ideology » 28 January 05 7:13 pm

thanks caughtatwork. looks like we'll need to have a flag to indicate whether it's html or not.

does anyone have any other feedback? we are pretty close to turning this on and want to make sure it's ready for prime-time, thanks!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 30 January 05 1:54 am

I have added a new cache, ga0092 (which was knocked back by gc.com when I posted it just after Christmas) which is a virtual in Nepal. <br>
A few points:<p>

The Location field gets auto filled in with "Barrow Island" which then shows after the name for the listing. I put in Nepal and it changed back to Barrow Island. Seems to be staying as Nepal now I saved it as a draft though.
<p>
Best option for container size is "other". Making the cache type an "other virtual cache".
<p>
Linking to images hosted by groundspeak (uploaded to my non-approved cache) seems to work fine. Would this be an issue going onward?<p>

There is not an option to change the name the cache is placed by. ie. Damo and .........

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 06 February 05 12:20 pm

We were looking at the WA cache listings on GA this morning and noticed the legend (at the bottom) seems completely reversed to what the list is in reality. Might be a little confusing if you don't know which caches are listed on GA.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 06 February 05 12:24 pm

As an addendum if you click on a cache (visited) they all appear as purple ie GA caches.