cache listing - beta testing [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

cache listing - beta testing [closed]

Post by ideology » 17 January 05 9:44 am

we're finally ready to begin beta testing cache listing on gca! (yipee!) we would appreciate your feedback

to try listing a cache:
1. go to your "my" page by clicking on "my" tab
2. click the "Add New Cache" link at the top of your list of caches
3. fill in the details
3a. at this stage, please list your cache as draft - that way it won't appear on cache listings, rss feeds, daily updates, mobile site, etc
4. press save

to see your cache:
go to your "my" page and you should see your cache listed as a draft cache. draft caches appear in courier font to distinguish them from fully listed caches.

please don't create a zillion draft caches because you can't delete them! once we go fully live, you'll be able to edit your draft to include real details and make it a proper cache

please let us know how it goes!
Last edited by ideology on 07 October 05 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 9:56 am

I get the following:

Error
Cannot access cache. Check the waypoint and whether you own it.

I am logged in as the rest of my info (owned caches, etc) comes up fine.

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 January 05 9:59 am

oops, sorry, we got the permissions wrong
can you please have another go?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 10:15 am

Still have the same problem.
Shut down IE and still the same problem.
Also tried Opera and Firefox, same problem.

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 January 05 10:24 am

oops, sorry, we did it wrong again. we've corrected it and created a test account to test it. so you should get in a bit further now!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 10:32 am

Wheeeeeee! Are we all having fun yet?
I get to the page to complete the details, when I hit the go button, I get back to the original error.
Also the Ratings link she no worky worky (404).
We're getting there (albeit a little slowly).

Also what happens if I delete the degree symbol and don't know how to get it back in the waypoint? Does it have to be there or do you work it out whether it's there or not?

ideology

Post by ideology » 17 January 05 11:18 am

argh, sorry for the hassles. we have a few lines of security to secure caches against being edited by non-owners. we've fixed another bug and done two end-to-end tests with another userid, so hopefully it will work now!

not sure what you mean by the ratings links

you can happily delete the degree symbol, minutes symboles, remove spaces and all sorts of stuff, and it should recognise your coordinates. we did it like that so it's easy to cut and paste the coords straight from your gps mapping program. hopefully it will lead to fewer typos in coords!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 12:06 pm

Excellent.
Basic test works fine.

On the ratings I meant the 'Definitions' which point to Ratings on your site. They weren't working before but are now.

I see that the degree symbols are necessary (which is good).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 3:42 pm

Well I did a bit more testing and I'm sure whether I clicked the wrong radio button, but the cache went live. Sorry about that. Have set it back to draft.

Then rabbitto didn't find it, so I suppose that's working.

Seems that the co-ords check is clever enough to know what is invalid.
eg. S3745.000' E144° 45.000' returns the error: Invalid coordinates

That is good, but it then returns S0° 0.000' E0° 0.000' in the text box.
Is it possible to have it return the same rubbish values so you can just reedit them rather than type the whole lot again?

When I edit the cache to change from available to draft the date is presented as: 2005-01-17

When I change to draft I get the error: Invalid hidden date
Of course, this is due to the date format. I would prefer not to have to reedit the date each time. I'm sure this is a simple presentation issue.

So I fix the date and set it to draft and all in fine.
I then go back into edit something else (anything), the default radio button is Available.

This is how problem 1 occurred. This needs to be defaulted to the same value as current otherwise we'll get a lot of caches released because the hider didn't look at this value to see it had changed and just assumed it would stay at the last value until changed (I know I did).

Small bugs, but we're getting there.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 3:45 pm

Something else.

When I 'draft' my cache, at the moment it is still showing up on the Vic cache page as active. Oops. I know you cache that page, but I think something else might be needed otehrwise in the intervening time between me drafting the cache and it changing on the vic cache page, someone might do stuff to it. Like not find it!

Also, there is nothing on the actual cache page itself to tell you what the status is. I know you get strikethough for archived etc, but now that my cache is back in draft, the actual cache page http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0085 doesn't tell you that, so it looks live, but isn't.

Again, small bugs or maybe undocumented features :shock:

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 17 January 05 4:42 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Also, there is nothing on the actual cache page itself to tell you what the status is. I know you get strikethough for archived etc, but now that my cache is back in draft, the actual cache page http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0085 doesn't tell you that, so it looks live, but isn't.
Unknown/unlisted cache
----------------------------
Sorry, this cache is unknown or unlisted. To search for a cache, use the search box in the top right hand corne

So I guess only you can actually see it when it is in draft ;)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 January 05 5:10 pm

Ahhh. True. Didn't think of that one (doh!).
Itr's also gone from the vic page, so the page must have been recached. Good too.

aussiecoder
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussiecoder » 17 January 05 11:00 pm

My GPS program produces co-ordinates like ... -37 59.696, 145 16.100 which are "invalid".

I've seen all sorts of ways of putting in co-ordinates, none seems to hit the nail on the head. May I suggest a "user preference". Which allows the user to select which format they want, which could be

N/S/E/W pull down, deg, min, sec
N/S/E/W deg min.dec
N/S/W/W deg.dec
or single text box that accepts +/- Deg min sec or N/S/E/W Deg min sec.

Definition for type and container are not links.

When I went back to edit, hidden date was displayed as 2007-1-17 (I entered 17/1/07) and was invalid when I pressed save. I went back and edited a 2nd time (because the listing changed to active when I edited it), and the hidden date was OK. Now I'm not sure what I did that got the date backwards.

Where do I enter hints.

Where do I enter "notes to reviewer" - or are we not having reviewers ?

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 18 January 05 11:45 am

<b>Looks good to me I! ... one suggestion maybe have the radio button set to default on Draft instead of Available to help cut down on mistakes by new users?<p>As the the choice of co-ords by Aussiecoder that will only add to confusion as you would need to know what co-ords the cache is under and I don't know how GSAK would handle that with the download of the gpx file .. I'm guessing it would throw a hissy fit or revert to its own best guess?

ideology

Post by ideology » 23 January 05 7:14 pm

we've fixed the following bugs
- invalud hidden date being replaced by incorrect format
- invalid coords being replaced by default text
- status magically changing to available

just dashing out now, so we'll address the other issues later

please let us know how it goes!