updating your stars [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

updating your stars [closed]

Post by xf king » 14 January 05 9:19 am

While looking trough other peoples posts I notice stars coming up under their names regarding how many caches they have completed. I have done 130 caches and cant get any stars. In my profile it asks for a geocaching.com user number and to find it by emailing your self. I have tried and tried but the site comes up with a message that says. You cant email yourself. And there is no such number. Is there another way to get my geocaching.com user number. Any help would be much appreciated. From M.B.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Re: Getting my Geocaching.com number.

Post by riblit » 14 January 05 10:13 am

xf king wrote:While looking trough other peoples posts I notice stars coming up under their names regarding how many caches they have completed. I have done 130 caches and cant get any stars. In my profile it asks for a geocaching.com user number and to find it by emailing your self. I have tried and tried but the site comes up with a message that says. You cant email yourself. And there is no such number. Is there another way to get my geocaching.com user number. Any help would be much appreciated. From M.B.
You stars will be there shortly.

ideology

Post by ideology » 14 January 05 10:16 am

there is a link to update your stars on the main forum index page

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 14 January 05 5:44 pm

Thanks for getting my stars up guys, happy caching.
M.B

Big Red Expeditions
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Big Red Expeditions » 15 January 05 12:23 pm

Hang on guys, what about finding out your GC.com user number, becuase I've had trouble with that too. Exact same problem as XFking, too.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 15 January 05 12:31 pm

Best way of getting your GC.com number is to go to your own profile there and hover your mouse curser over the link for "Find posts in the geocaching forums for this user" or something similar... the last lot of numbers that comes up in the status bar on the bottom of your browser,assuming you have that feature actived, will be your gc.com number (its about the only place now left where you can find it in an un-encrypted format

Cheers

Swampgecko

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 January 05 1:18 am

and it's a really long number now too

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 18 January 05 12:15 am

Thanks for finding out how to find the new number its working for me. Thanks guys. only one more problem. In geocaching.com.au, I click on MY and it comes up with my account settings. My username is ok but for my caching name it says "Not set up. To set up a caching name, please refer to the FAQ below" I have checked FAQ and it only tells me how to change a caching name in gc.com. not how to add it to gc.com.au. Any help with this would be great. Thanks from M.B

xf king
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by xf king » 18 January 05 9:13 am

Not to worry now, It has all come up and is working perfectly now.. Thanks from M.B

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 18 January 05 11:10 am

To find out your number:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... ght=#21583

The easiest way to get your number:
In my case my number is 111450, just hover your mouse over your name and check the status bar.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 30 January 05 9:19 pm

Ok so what's the new procedure going to be for verifying your cache count on both cache listing sites?

Some people will not find the caches on the primary site, some won't do the caches on the secondary site and others, myself included will do caches listed on both sites.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 30 January 05 11:25 pm

Firstly, to avoid confusing those new to the game, and me at times, can we keep the primary/secondary jargon to a minimum for serious topics please? :) I mentioned the forum to a new cacher the other day, and I daren't contemplate the confusion that awaits. Time for a glossary in the FAQ perhaps?

Getting a total cache count could (should?) be accurate on GCA total no matter how a person does their caching. If you want to break it down, then you need a gc.com count also, and subtract to get the difference.

- Rog

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 31 January 05 6:34 am

Mind Socket wrote:Firstly, to avoid confusing those new to the game, and me at times, can we keep the primary/secondary jargon to a minimum for serious topics please? :) I mentioned the forum to a new cacher the other day, and I daren't contemplate the confusion that awaits. Time for a glossary in the FAQ perhaps?

Getting a total cache count could (should?) be accurate on GCA total no matter how a person does their caching. If you want to break it down, then you need a gc.com count also, and subtract to get the difference.

- Rog
A fair point there Rog, I am probably the worst offender for using jargon inappropiately, even after 17yrs of wedded bliss when I slip into milspeak at home my wife still doesn't understand.... or is it just me she just doesn't understand :roll:

So to get back at the subject at hand...

You would have to assume that the data used for the GCA count would be accurate.. but for some reason and I cannot find where, the two tallies are different. GCA has a count of 319 and gc.com has me at 315. At the moment I have no GCAfinds against my name....