swaggies ready for action [closed]

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
ideology

swaggies ready for action

Post by ideology » 13 February 05 9:26 am

swaggies are free travel bugs that you can make yourself and log here. they allow you to track an item as it is moves between caches.

we've set up the last bits on the server here, so hopefully they are ready for action.

to list a new swaggie, go to your "my" page and you should see an "add new swaggie" link near the bottom of the page. click on that and enter the details of your swaggie.

then you need to create your physical swaggie. you can be as creative as you want, but it's in your interests to make something look like a swaggie (whatever that is!) or else finders will miss it and leave it behind. we think the swaggie should somehow communicate:
- it's a swaggie
- it's name
- it's nickname (the SW1234 code that's on gca)
- that it's loggable on geocaching australia
- some request to move it from place to place, a goal, etc

caughtatwork proposed some text here
caughtatwork wrote:Draft blurb:

Congratulations you have found an uniquely Australian travel bug called a Swaggie.
This Swaggie is a special item that has been released into the wild along with special instructions on what the Swaggie owner would like to achieve with their Swaggie.
Swaggies are not a regular trade item.
If you remove a Swaggie from a cache you must be willing within a reasonable amount of time to log that you removed it and then place it into another cache.
When you place it into the next cache you must log it again with where you left it.
Swaggies are identified by a special tag attached to them.
This tag at a minimum will have a unique tracking number and a website to go to log and track it. Swaggies can be logged at http://www.geocaching.com.au/
You need to make a note of this number and the tracking website before placing it into the next cache in order to log it on the website.
as suggested by caughtatwork, we've also introduced the requirement of a password to stop fraudulent logs. a cacher needs to have the password of the swaggie to grab it. the password should be on the swaggie somewhere. (or it could be a puzzle, we guess!)

for more background, see here and here

there will probably be some teething issues, so please let us know how it goes!

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 12 March 05 3:44 pm

Just a question. <br>
<br>
Are the SW0000 codes USER defined? And if so, wouldn't that create double ups of numbers? <br>
<br>
Marie

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 12 March 05 9:28 pm

Got this from the FAQ so I would guess not? but then again I've never been able to find the create new swaggie link so I assume it's still in 'alpha' mode currently.<p>From the FAQ ...<br>Q.What is a Swaggie?<p>

A. A Swaggie is a trackable hitch hiker that can be placed in a cache. It has a name and a nickname. You think up the name and geocaching.com.au will supply the nickname in the form of a SWxxxx code.<p>Cheers TLC

Team Red Devil
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Red Devil » 13 March 05 2:28 am

Thanks TLC :)

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 13 March 05 3:09 pm

http://geocaching.com.au/my/swaggie/new

It doesnt seem that you can pick the ID number.

TEAM LANDCRUISER

Post by TEAM LANDCRUISER » 13 March 05 3:19 pm

Thanx for the link Sniper ... BTW where did you find the link as there isn't a link to it from 'my' page, is there from yours?<p>Cheers Mike

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 13 March 05 3:27 pm

There is no link if you have not made one yet (which doesnt help you in making one..), I copied the URL for the AU submit new cache and thought that there must be a way to submit a swaggie
so I just changed the word 'cache' to 'swaggie' and the create new swaggie page came up. ideology needs to put a link to the page so others can know about it.

http://geocaching.com.au/my/cache/new
http://geocaching.com.au/my/swaggie/new

Once you have at least one swaggie the link will appear in your My section.

ideology

Post by ideology » 16 March 05 8:45 am

oops, we didn't realise the link was missing!
we've added the link to the "my" page