Welcome to our newest developer - MattyRx

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Welcome to our newest developer - MattyRx

Post by caughtatwork » 15 September 23 9:40 am

I would like you to extend a warm welcome to our newest developer. He is not a new member at Geocaching Australia but after a semi-random discussion about dZ games and the like, we discovered a joint passion for learning and programming and he has offered to step into our vacancy and help out where he can.

MattyRx joined the development team at the beginning of the process to create the Challenge Cache type. Along with Sol de lune, MattyRx was instrumental in setting some of the boundaries for the new cache type as well as taking on the challenge (!) of creating almost all of the challenge checkers.

A lot of what you will see for the challenge checkers is MattyRx's work, so you can blame him when things don't work :mrgreen: But seriously he has taken up the developer mantle with gusto and we have regular sessions for mentoring and education on the way our little website works, the database, code and other weird things that we do in the background.

We are both now focused on three things that are going to be coming up.
1. LGA's. Creating better / faster data access to caches in LGAs so GCA can be a leader in helping you meet your external LGA challenges as well as thinking of new challenges and quests that you can achieve using our new LGA access methods.
2. Looking at the Earth Science Cache and what needs to be handled specifically for logging, photos, confirmation, etc.
3. Looking into the future for more work on EviroCaches which are caches that are sensitive to the environment and will break down over a period of time, allowing a year or so to log and then leaving no trace.

Again, please extend a warm welcome to MattyRx as a new member of the development team.

wayn0

Re: Welcome to our newest developer - MattyRx

Post by wayn0 » 15 September 23 11:01 am

Well done MattyRx! More to chat about now if I see you on a trig hunt :)

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 15 September 23 11:34 am

Welcome MattyRx!!!

Sounds like some cool things are in the pipeline.

Please forgive any swears I may have put in any of my past commits to the sourcecode \:D/

mattyrx
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by mattyrx » 15 September 23 1:35 pm

Aww, shucks :oops:

Thank you! I'm looking forward to helping out in the best way I can. \:D/ Nice to be able to give a little bit back to the site that's given me so much over the years.
Last edited by mattyrx on 16 September 23 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 16 September 23 9:27 am

Excellent news. Lookng forward to everything that comes from the development space... =D> =D>

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 17 September 23 2:16 am

Great news.
Thanks for all your work so far on the challenge caches and other things.
Looking forward to seeing the other changes mentioned also. :D