Logless cache idea

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Logless cache idea

Post by caughtatwork » 25 July 23 9:04 am

Neither are the multiple measuring tapes which I have been finding recently. You can't write on the metal with a standard pen. I despair at the way that that organisation is going about "standardising" the game out of existence.

It's clear that with the way they are moderating hides, increasing prices, slowing down on the release of new functionality, stealing ideas, year-on-year find rates not increasing, that they are expecting the demise of the game and are trying to rack up as much money as they can before they fall apart.

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 25 July 23 9:18 pm

Add to that the fact that environmentalists will catch on soon enough that GC are encouraging placing plastic containers or plastic contents that are often damaged beyond CO control by things such as erosion, weathering, bushfire, flood, animal munching and muggles... If we don't change our ways soon we will be seen as ignorant boomers who don't care about the future generations having a safe planet to grow up on, or how many more animals and plants we will cause to become extinct.

Exaggerative, sure, but you know they are already out there. It'll happen soon enough.

I for one think it's a good idea to be starting to think about environmentally friendly caches now, and trying to make small changes to the way we do things so we can keep on enjoying this hobby with a clear conscience for years to come.

Over the last 3 Julys I have noted the encouragement to do a Plastic-Free July and each year I find more things I can replace or reuse or have more willpower to do. I sure as hell still can't do plastic-free, but each year I find more things I can change a bit and that adds up over time. No one expects complete change overnight, but just thinking about what small changes we can make is a good start.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 08 December 23 10:49 am

If I create a multi that takes you to a number of different locations to gather information like numbers or letters, can I use the size of 'Other' for a codeword they will have after collecting all the bits?

For example, I send the geocacher on a treasure hunt around town. The have coords for the first location only. Gathering info there they then get the coords for the second. At the second location they gather info to figure out the next coords. At the final location the codeword can be found on an existing sign or something. This codeword is then the 'Other' sized container.

OR,
I give a bunch of coords and a letter or number or symbol is gathered at each location making up the codeword. No extra hidden object required.

This would be a great solution and fun outdoor activity for a floodzone like half of Lismore.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 December 23 12:48 pm

Multi-caches cannot have a codeword.

Geocacher Geocache - Mandatory
Locationless - Optional
Ephemeral - Mandatory
Augmented Reality - Mandatory
Jigsaw - Mandatory

A multi-cache is designated a physical geocache and must have a container at the end.

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 08 December 23 3:37 pm

No worries. Thank you for making that all clear before I attempted to hide one of the before-mentioned. :)

The wiki might need to be reworded to be more clear on that then as it says,
An 'Other' geocache can be one of two things: A cache which does not fit into any other catogory or a cache who's hider may wish for some reason to conceal the final location's container size in a Multi-cache or Mystery_cache.

An 'Other' container may well be a log page affixed to a sign or another object from which you must obtain a code. There are any number of creative ideas out there from clever cachers. If you are going after one of these containers put you thinking caps on as more often than not you will need to be thinking abstractly.
And maybe in multicache creation mode the codeword option could be disabled.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 December 23 4:40 pm

I don't believe you can add a codeword for a multi cache.

You can on the "Enable GeoChecker" but that gives you a code word to reveal final co-ordinates, it doesn't require it for logging a "Found It".

Now_To_Morrow

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 08 December 23 8:55 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
08 December 23 4:40 pm

You can on the "Enable GeoChecker" but that gives you a code word to reveal final co-ordinates, it doesn't require it for logging a "Found It".
Aha! I've never tried the codeword to coords option so didn't realise that. Thank you for clarifying all this. Having never hidden an 'Other' sized cache before, this is all new to me. I now have the information to hide an 'Other' sized cache correctly... I hope. :)