WherIGo as an Augmented Realty cache option

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
wayn0

Re: WherIGo as an Augmented Realty cache option

Post by wayn0 » 04 March 23 2:20 pm

Well that was an interesting process. The Wherigo Kit builder is great as mentioned above. I took me a while to figure out the emulator to test my work but once I figured it out all was good. The automatic transfer to wherigo.com is buggy (apparently always has been) so I had to download the .gwz file (the Wherigo cartridge) and then manually upload it to wherigo.com. Once that is done you get the option to add attributes and other fine tuning. Another thing I found out is the wherigo app searches the relevant wherigo GC cache page to find a link to the cartridge page. If no link, no download.

Another note: to use the Wherigo kit builder you must login via the geocaching.com API

This was an enjoyable process without being too challenging. I'm yet to find out if it works in the field so that opinion may change haha.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 01 April 23 6:57 pm

Hi,
I have done one WherIgo in the past using the Whereyougo App on an older android phone. Since Then I have updated devices (Galaxy S20 with Android 13) and now the app doesn't work for me. I have done the latest update, and it can't find the files when I download them. I tried some of the tips supplied in the reviews for Whereyougo, but no good. I even dumped the app and reloaded it still no good. Any tips? frustration has set in as there are a few of these caches I would like to complete

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 02 April 23 11:39 am

Is there an in-app setting for file directories?

Are ‘you’ able to see the downloaded files? If yes, try to open the wherigo file and you may be prompted with app options including Whereyougo.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 05 April 23 6:52 am

Yes, can see them, made a new file to place the downloads in, directed Whereyougo to that file in the setting, still get no cartridges founds or whatever the error message is.

whitewebbs
6500 or more caches found

Post by whitewebbs » 05 April 23 8:16 am

I also find it difficult to use now. Must have been an update that changed things. The only way I use it is to drag files from computer across to the phone before leaving home.
I have just heard of Geooh Go app for android and will look into that (not free). Apparently it has a good wherigo built in. As I don't use an app for caching I would just use it for finding wherigos.

whitewebbs

Post by whitewebbs » 05 April 23 8:28 am

Just went to whereyougo app and saw this pop up on opening:

"2023.02.22
For further development of WhereYouGo we need help of the Geocaching community! Contact us!
Fix 'download failed' error (caused by recent website workflow changes)
Fix crashes on Systems running Android 7 or below when statusbar icon is activated
Fix longitude formatting
Removed 'Acquire map from c:geo' due to map version incompatibilities
Updated targetSDK to Android 11"

AND then an information page pops up next with hints.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 08 April 23 9:56 am

Just looking at Geooh Go, that might be worth the money to get the better functionality for wherigo caches, would be nice if groundspeak did it with their

wayn0

Post by wayn0 » 09 April 23 2:25 am

swampgecko wrote:
08 April 23 9:56 am
would be nice if groundspeak did it with their
It took a few years but a great app for iOS users was released. I’d love them to update the toolset so the user interface became more customisable for builders. I have a specific idea for a second Wherigo but I’m unlikely to make a third unless a good update is released.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 09 April 23 12:34 pm

whitewebbs wrote:
05 April 23 8:16 am
I also find it difficult to use now. Must have been an update that changed things. The only way I use it is to drag files from computer across to the phone before leaving home.
I have just heard of Geooh Go app for android and will look into that (not free). Apparently it has a good wherigo built in. As I don't use an app for caching I would just use it for finding wherigos.
Bought Geooh Go, and had a play. Once I figured out the filters and found the wherigo cache I was attempting and got it working, not bad at all, definitely not intuitive but a working solution Thanks for pointing me to it. I will play more this the app but primarily it will be for wherigo caches for me. for the trads and multis I prefer my GPSr.