Improved experience with Mystery caches

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
crash2079

Improved experience with Mystery caches

Post by crash2079 » 17 July 17 11:03 am

Background:
I've primarily been finding GC caches but have more recently become interested in the GA flavour of the game. This interest has been increased through the games (such as Christmas in July). In the field, I only use my smartphone (iPhone). I use Cachly app to allow me to import GA caches. My favourite cache type is mystery/puzzle, making up over 20% of my 1500 GC finds.

Problem:
The 2 main problems I face with GA mystery caches are:
a) Not being able to store corrected coordinates. The real issue here is the resulting lack of mapping of the corrected coordinates. I have about 20 solved but un-found mystery caches on GA (over 300 on GC). I've tried keeping track of these on paper, google myMaps, adding as waypoints on unrelated GC caches and even with this small number, it has quickly become too hard and a real deterrent.
b) Not having the ability to add private cache notes as I can on GC. On GC, I use this to summarise how I solved the puzzle and add other notes such as hints from checkers, suggested parking. Corrected coordinates could also be stored here but it doesn't fix the mapping issue.

I can see that corrected coordinates is on the GA development list but not much detail; eg priority of this item, whether it's just storing of the coords or right through to mapping. With an IT background, if there is anything that I could do to assist with this, I'd be more than willing to do so. Otherwise please just see this as another vote for this functionality.

Of course the ultimate solution for me would be to have real-time access to GA caches on a phone app

caughtatwork

Re: Improved experience with Mystery caches

Post by caughtatwork » 17 July 17 2:41 pm

Corrected co-ordinates are not a priority for the development team at the moment. Neither are private geocache notes. The first is on the development list but I doubt this would have any priority for some years unless we can increase the development team. We are currently running on one developer and as all time is voluntary, I choose what I what to get done first. If you fit this bill, please contact us:
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 33#p213333

You can try Geocube (developed by a Geocaching Australia community member) which uses the Geocaching Australia API for realtime access to the geocaches. This app is available iPhone and iPad.

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 17 July 17 3:19 pm

crash2079 wrote: I can see that corrected coordinates is on the GA development list but not much detail; eg priority of this item, whether it's just storing of the coords or right through to mapping. With an IT background, if there is anything that I could do to assist with this, I'd be more than willing to do so. Otherwise please just see this as another vote for this functionality.
Corrected coordinates works fine if you have only one next waypoint but fails dramatically if you have multiple waypoints.

In Geocube you can add as many additional waypoints to the cache as you want and add your own personal note to the cache, even if the listing service doesn't support it.

Edwin

crash2079

Post by crash2079 » 18 July 17 10:40 am

caughtatwork wrote:Corrected co-ordinates are not a priority for the development team at the moment. Neither are private geocache notes. The first is on the development list but I doubt this would have any priority for some years unless we can increase the development team.
Thanks for the prompt and honest feedback. I'll give geoCube another look.

crash2079

Post by crash2079 » 18 July 17 10:44 am

MavEtJu wrote: In Geocube you can add as many additional waypoints to the cache as you want and add your own personal note to the cache, even if the listing service doesn't support it.
This sounds like everything I'm looking for. I have downloaded the app previously but found it a bit confusing so didn't explore these options. Will have another look. Thanks

andrewbt
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by andrewbt » 18 July 17 11:48 pm

I've got a feature request with the c:geo devs to add GCA in.. but I suspect that'll take a long while

In the meantime, I've been dumping GZ's into a custom google map (my maps)... and using that. Also useful for keeping other points of interest for other cache puzzles/multis etc..