Cache update emails

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Cache update emails

Post by MavEtJu » 19 March 17 1:35 pm

Greetings,

I've had a good hard look at the daily cache update emails and after some discussions with others they went from "make something, propose it, we'll see how it can go.".

So I made something which looks splendid on my mail client (Mail app on the phone, my primary mail-client these days), looks okay on Gmail and Outlook, has the Geocaching Australia look and feel (font and background) and supports some of the Geocaching Australia features (movables, locationless etc).

See https://geocaching.sydney/gca-announcements.html for how it looks on my mail client and https://geocaching.sydney/gca-announcem ... tlook.html for how it looks on Gmail and Outlook. And a text-only version will be similar but without the nice things.

Please send some feedback on it (aye, nah, needs more colours, font is dubious etc) so that the people in power can say yes or no on continuing with it. Please don't text-wall it but try to be constructive.

If you want a test email of it to your mail client, please PM me your email address and I'll send one.

Edwin

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Re: Cache update emails

Post by Zalgariath » 23 March 17 9:44 am

Looks nifty.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 30 May 17 2:48 pm

Code changes have been submitted to the developers, it's coming soon!

(Hopefully :-)

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 30 May 17 6:19 pm

Don't like how it looks in Outlook. Doesn't jump out at me to any point where I think we need to change what we have.

Sorry, not for me.

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 30 May 17 7:01 pm

I also do not think that the change is worth it and looks worse that the current emails.

oldfella

Post by oldfella » 31 May 17 7:52 am

I also do not like it when compared to what I currently receive. I personally would not like to see this change to what is proposed. Personal opinion.

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 31 May 17 5:15 pm

Sol de Lune wrote:Don't like how it looks in Outlook. Doesn't jump out at me to any point where I think we need to change what we have.

Sorry, not for me.
It uses the same style and fonts as currently used on the GCA website.
It adds a few missing ones like moveables, locationless and events.

And if you don't like it, in the patches submitted you can chose the formats (Text only old style, text only new style and HTML new style) you want to get it delivered in. So nothing will change if you don't want it.

Edwin

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 31 May 17 5:15 pm

Chwiliwr wrote:I also do not think that the change is worth it and looks worse that the current emails.
What does look worse about it?

Edwin

MavEtJu

Post by MavEtJu » 31 May 17 5:16 pm

oldfella wrote:I also do not like it when compared to what I currently receive. I personally would not like to see this change to what is proposed. Personal opinion.
And if you don't like it, in the patches submitted you can chose the formats (Text only old style, text only new style and HTML new style) you want to get it delivered in. So nothing will change if you don't want it.

Edwin

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 May 17 8:57 pm

There will be change as there will only be two formats not three. HTML or plain text.

On your watchlist
@@WP_NAME@@, by @@WP_OWNER@@.
In @@WP_LOCALITY@@, @@WP_DISTANCE@@ km @@WP_DIRECTION@@.
Links: [ GCA | GC | Google Maps ]

This is very unclear as to whether it is shown of not. What is this? Is this just the template? I don't see from the example links what this really looks like. Maybe a final screen shot rather than the template will help. At the moment the support for this suggestion is quite low so anyone who has some feedback should chime in so we can decide if we will proceed or not. If you have suggestions do them in. Community acceptance will be necessary to proceed.

Thanks to Team MavEtJu for suggesting and taking this on. We have some technical challenges that we will eventually overcome but only if this works for the community.

Tuena
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 01 June 17 11:37 am

I like the idea of the links. I rip through the upcoming events now as they repeat day after day so being able to ignore the latter & just check new ones would be ideal.