View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 14 December 17 12:12 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Check boxes on state cache listings 
Author Message
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 June 14 11:16 am
Posts: 24
Location: Tasmania
GCA Found: 312
GCA Hidden: 3
100 GCA Finds
Post Check boxes on state cache listings
I vaguely recall a "future wishlist" in the wiki but cannot locate, so this suggestion may already be there. In order to update a GSAK database of GCA caches in my home state when new caches are published these must be added either via a query preset for "Hidden in last # days" (listings can be missed or unnecessarily refreshed depending on setting for #) or individually by opening each cache page (clunky & time consuming). Would it be possible to add checkboxes to the state GCA listings (http://geocaching.com.au/caches/available/gca/au/<state>/), & perhaps other similar listings (GCA only) to allow downloading details? This would be of great benefit when updating GSAK & similar with new cache listings, avoiding the need to either download a full GPX/ZIP (unnecessary overhead on server & duplication of data previously downloaded) or the above work-arounds.
It pains me to point out that GC provide such a facility on their equivalent state listings (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest ... tate_id=57 et al), albeit as a LOC file only, requiring refresh. Surely GCA can go one better?


22 January 17 7:34 pm
Profile E-mail
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 February 04 10:55 pm
Posts: 4031
Location: Waitara, Sydney
GCA Found: 1297
GCA Hidden: 23
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Check boxes on state cache listings
I don't think the load on the server is really an issue anymore, and I download the full NSW cache listing weekly. The advantages of updating GSAK with the full list is you will also know what is temporarily unavailable or archived, as opposed to just getting the new listings.

That said I had suggested before an option to only download the last # of logs as opposed to the whole lot such as GC do. This would minimise file size (not that download limits or speeds are a problem for me), but would also minimise the outgoing data that may or may not affect what GCA are charged for internet. Of course I have no idea if such filtering of logs would add or decrease the server load in generating the file for me.


22 January 17 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Posts: 14676
Location: Melbourne
GCA Found: 1041
GCA Hidden: 298
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Check boxes on state cache listings
Tardis wrote:
I vaguely recall a "future wishlist" in the wiki but cannot locate, so this suggestion may already be there. In order to update a GSAK database of GCA caches in my home state when new caches are published these must be added either via a query preset for "Hidden in last # days" (listings can be missed or unnecessarily refreshed depending on setting for #) or individually by opening each cache page (clunky & time consuming). Would it be possible to add checkboxes to the state GCA listings (http://geocaching.com.au/caches/available/gca/au/<state>/), & perhaps other similar listings (GCA only) to allow downloading details? This would be of great benefit when updating GSAK & similar with new cache listings, avoiding the need to either download a full GPX/ZIP (unnecessary overhead on server & duplication of data previously downloaded) or the above work-arounds.
It pains me to point out that GC provide such a facility on their equivalent state listings (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest ... tate_id=57 et al), albeit as a LOC file only, requiring refresh. Surely GCA can go one better?

Let me rephrase for understanding:
You go to this page:
http://geocaching.com.au/caches/available/gca/au/tas/
You can then select any of the caches by a checkbox and create a GPX file?
If you want 70 caches you will tick 70 tick boxes?
If you want all 100 plus a few on the next page you will tick 100 boxes (manually), get the GPX file, go to the next page, tick more boxes manually.
Have I got that right?

That sounds rather painful manually going through and ticking box after box after box. I'll give it 5 manybe 10 minutes before a "select all" box is requested. Then a "can you make the select all box just for traditionals, or multis or something else". Then a "can you also make the select based on a difficulty < 3 and a terrain < 2". I'm serious. I have seen the requests grow out of control in the past.

I think we should refine what is being requested a little more to see whether or not this is a widely requested function or a narrow function. I want to avoid creating heaps of code that will require years of maintenance for only one or two folks.

Please continue to discuss.


23 January 17 8:36 am
Profile E-mail WWW
User avatar

Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Posts: 14676
Location: Melbourne
GCA Found: 1041
GCA Hidden: 298
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Check boxes on state cache listings
Richary wrote:
I don't think the load on the server is really an issue anymore, and I download the full NSW cache listing weekly. The advantages of updating GSAK with the full list is you will also know what is temporarily unavailable or archived, as opposed to just getting the new listings.

That said I had suggested before an option to only download the last # of logs as opposed to the whole lot such as GC do. This would minimise file size (not that download limits or speeds are a problem for me), but would also minimise the outgoing data that may or may not affect what GCA are charged for internet. Of course I have no idea if such filtering of logs would add or decrease the server load in generating the file for me.

The future issue with the whole state is that it will grow to a rather large file which doesn't bother us, but may bother you. On the development list in the wiki there is a line to limit the number of logs to a predefined, user set, number. This is not yet in place. Grabbing only tha last 20 (example) logs is no more computer effort than grabbing the last 100 or 1000. As they are sorted to get them in log order, we need to get them all anyway. The benefit to limiting logs is that the files get smaller, faster and take less time to download. But what I also suspect is that people will automatically set them to "all" and therefore there will be additional code, requiring future maintenance for what I suspect is a small subset of cachers. As this is on the wiki list it will be developed in the future as time permits.


23 January 17 8:39 am
Profile E-mail WWW
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
User avatar

Joined: 04 June 14 11:16 am
Posts: 24
Location: Tasmania
GCA Found: 312
GCA Hidden: 3
100 GCA Finds
Post Re: Check boxes on state cache listings
caughtatwork wrote:
I think we should refine what is being requested a little more to see whether or not this is a widely requested function or a narrow function. I want to avoid creating heaps of code that will require years of maintenance for only one or two folks.


My apologies. I feel your pain! I was envisaging "just a few" would need to be selected, ie those published since last visit, maybe a week or two tops, nowhere near 70 plus, but I see there's no real way to control what users may choose to do (or demand). As I maintain reasonably up to date databases in GSAK I guess I was operating more from "GC has this function on their state listings & it works for me to quickly grab the latest half dozen or so".

In hindsight I guess my "Hidden in last # days" query option may be the best way to go after all.


23 January 17 4:57 pm
Profile E-mail
User avatar

Joined: 17 May 04 12:11 pm
Posts: 14676
Location: Melbourne
GCA Found: 1041
GCA Hidden: 298
100 GCA Finds500 GCA Finds1000 GCA Finds
Post Re: Check boxes on state cache listings
I am happy to code up anything to help. I would just like to refine what we're looking for. If the thread could garner some more opinions that would be great.


23 January 17 7:09 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum theme by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.