A Reverse Geocache

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Geocaching Australia

A Reverse Geocache

Post by Geocaching Australia » 09 February 16 7:31 pm

Based on the discussion in this thread and an majority vote in the Senate, Geocaching Australia will be bringing a Reverse Geocache Type to you shortly.
http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... =1#p215127

We will need:
a. A wiki entry: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Reverse_cache
b. Cache Types updated: http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Cache_type
Image Image
c. A name for the two trophies (one for hides and one for finds) see this page as an example http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/trophies/firnsy/

Once we have that data we will be in a position to release the new type. It will appear as a mystery cache in your GPX files, GSAK and your GPS.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: A Reverse Geocache

Post by fluffyfish » 09 February 16 9:35 pm

=D>

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 09 February 16 9:52 pm

Did the Senate define what makes a reverse geocache?

I would say it would be defined as :
electronic
not a mobile phone
gps enabled
guides you to set gps location defined by lon/lat, unknown to the finder

Does it need to have a log book? A classic reverse geocache opens a box at the final coords to enable signing a log book.

However I'm working on a wearable reverse geocache. In my proposed cache, it is a hat which guides you to the final coordinates using a system of lights to let you know if you are getting closer or further away (sort of like a game of hot or cold). Once at the final location, it will display a set of unique colors. The finder would then tell me either the location or the colour sequence (not yet decided).

Happy to have the clarification of whether a reverse geocache must enable a log book to be signed only at the final location (regardless how you got guided there)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 February 16 10:03 pm

If a box opens then include a logbook I suggest. The Senate will be persuaded by what the community propose. If you think it's a reverse cache then so be it. As you need to hand off the cache as the owner you can confirm it ws done correctly so the decision is yours.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 10 February 16 11:06 am

Ok.

Hopefully we can all agree on it needing to be a physical object, not an app on a phone.

I would think the wherigo's are a software version of a reverse cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 February 16 11:27 am

The community requested it the community can create the description. There are no site rules that apply to the creation or logging, so whatever you add to wiki will be what starts out then discussions and changes can take place.

As far as I can see, a whereigo is not a reverse cache. A whereigo is a multi. A reverse cache is pretty specific. Based on a lat/lon that you are standing at, how far away is the cache. There is no story. There is no question. There is no answer. there is nothing to do but work out where on the circle the cache will open.

If it's a reverse cache on a phone, then some proof will need to be provided to the owner that they have found the location. It's your job to make that determination and seek proof.

I'm not going to create the documentation or update the wiki. I just make the code nowadays.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 12 February 16 9:58 am

Is it just me or does anyone else think that we might be creating a few too many new cache types?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 16 3:12 pm

Discuss it with your senator? They represent you as the community and approve or not approve changes to be made as you the community see fit.

My opinion as a community member is that I would like to see change and innovation introduced in to the game with more and different fun ways to geocache. If we didn't have change we would have one style of geocache which is a traditional. After all everything is a traditional which is a geocache at a set of co-ords. How you get there is irrelevant and they should not be different cache types. Read the description to find out how to get to GZ.

By embracing change and introducing new cache types we are offering a service that alternative sites are not offering. You can have any cache type you like as long as it's a black one at some sites.

Competition drives change and innovation. Remember people don't want TrigPoints either (they're not real caches, they're too hard, they're stupid, I don't want them) yet they are amongst the most popular cache type on our site. Weird hey.

Anyway, chat to your senator and have them join in and engage with you. They makes the calls, the decisions. If your senator is not engaging, then you get to go with the decision of the rest.

Geocaching Australia

Post by Geocaching Australia » 12 February 16 6:35 pm

The reverse geocache type is now live.
Have fun with your loved one on Valentines Day.

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 12 February 16 8:06 pm

With the history cache there was given a preferred icon. Is there a preferred one for the reverse cache type?

Edwin

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 12 February 16 9:06 pm

I don't have a problem with them as such - I can easily ignore them. I just don't see the point of a new cache type of every variation of unknown caches. As far as I'm aware there are only 2 reverse caches in the country (please correct me if this wrong). One of them is mine and I have no intention of changing the cache type since it will only confuse GSAK and many of the local cachers (most of which are anti-GCA and don't understand anything that doesn't exist on Groundspeak's site). And the owner of the other reverse cache hasn't commented his views on any of the threads...

But mostly I was just wondering what others thought of all this? - I'd only seen about 3 people's thoughts on the subject and then next thing you know it happens...

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 16 10:20 pm

It will show up in gsak as a mystery. If its not listed here why do you care? If it is then why not list it correctly. If people are anti GCA then they're not here anyway.

If people are too dumb to read about a cache type then not much we can do. We are not the lowest common demoniator. We have a site for people with brains.

I am tired of defending our site against the dumb. If they can read they can use the site. If we want to cater for that level of ability then I'm out.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 12 February 16 10:22 pm

MavEtJu wrote:With the history cache there was given a preferred icon. Is there a preferred one for the reverse cache type?

Edwin
It's in the OP for goodness sake.

MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Post by MavEtJu » 12 February 16 10:24 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
MavEtJu wrote:With the history cache there was given a preferred icon. Is there a preferred one for the reverse cache type?

Edwin
It's in the OP for goodness sake.
Imagine that. Thanks!

Edwin

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 15 February 16 6:47 am

Laighside Legends wrote:And the owner of the other reverse cache hasn't commented his views on any of the threads...
I don't think I'll be updating mine either, it'll probably cause more confusion than it solves.