History Cache

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Re: History Cache

Post by petan » 05 February 17 9:47 pm

J_&_J wrote:
The last thing we want to see is armchair logging happening on our caches.
That was my point with the 'how many can I solve without leaving home' experiment.

I also started a discussion on the fact that History Caches acquire no Dragon Zone points and one of the counter arguments was that armchair logging and I assume placing could skew DZ points. I just wanted to test to see how hard was it to potentially armchair log. The answer from my 10 was not very so I wished to share my results.

I am passionate about history and about making history caches a viable respected cache type in much the same way Earth Caches are on GC.

I love the idea of a multi stop history cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 February 17 8:25 am

My history caches require you to look at the information boards and then using something specific, like what year was the photo on board 3 taken. I don't believe this can be done via search, but it is possible.

The 'how many words appear on line 3" is probably not guessable, but is a little boring.

However, each question probably requires you to read the information which is the point of the cache I suppose.

Just like a virtual or a trig point, if you "forget" to log a photo, then you get to claim it. Anyone will be able to brute force the answers if you are persistent enough. Mind you, the number of people who also claim physical geocaches without signing the logbook is also a problem, so there's little that can be done to prove you were there. We just to make it a tad hard to be a cheat.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 06 February 17 5:16 pm

If some one answers one or more questions wrong on a multi-question History cache, will the resulting dialog state which questions were wrong?

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 06 February 17 6:44 pm

J_&_J wrote:If some one answers one or more questions wrong on a multi-question History cache, will the resulting dialog state which questions were wrong?
It did for the ones that I have done.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 February 17 9:47 pm

The decision was yes it would tell you which ones were wrong.