History Cache

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
MavEtJu
Twitter: @mavetju

Re: History Cache

Post by MavEtJu » 26 January 16 7:25 pm

Congratulations on completing it. Really good to be in the company of people who are actually willing to experiment.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 January 16 8:52 pm

Got one planned for near home but forgot to go and get the info this afternoon, it's a marker I have wanted to use for a while but nowhere to hide a cache, and making it a multi was a problem with the nearest park being blocked by an existing GC cache. Instead it can be a history cache at the marker itself. Might get the info on the weekend if I don't get the chance tomorrow (as I will be in the car for a job).

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 16 9:34 pm

fluffyfish wrote:I'm not seeing the Flood History cache on the WA map

http://geocaching.com.au/caches/availab ... au/wa.gmap

I can't see it in the app though acknowledged that is a question to raise with the developer.
Apologies. The Google Map Icon was not published. A small trick that I miss every now and then. It works on my local machine (obviously) as the image is there, but I forget to add it into the SVN and publish it at publish time. The icon is now there.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 16 9:41 pm

Team MavEtJu wrote:Congratulations on completing it. Really good to be in the company of people who are actually willing to experiment.
Thanks. We like to try and experiment where time and skill allows. This is the 2nd such experiment recently with Night Caches launched not that long ago.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 27 January 16 1:22 am

caughtatwork wrote:

I can't see it in the app though acknowledged that is a question to raise with the developer.
Apologies. The Google Map Icon was not published. A small trick that I miss every now and then. It works on my local machine (obviously) as the image is there, but I forget to add it into the SVN and publish it at publish time. The icon is now there.
Is this technically a bug in dragonZone and therefore deserve points :lol: [-o<

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 January 16 8:10 am

fluffyfish wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:

Is this technically a bug in dragonZone and therefore deserve points :lol: [-o<
Nope. A bug unrelated to dragonZone.

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 27 January 16 6:00 pm

First history cache in NSW published:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga8101

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Post by the Monkey King » 02 February 16 3:35 pm

WazzaAndWenches wrote:Thanks also to Mrs The Morris for suggesting it in the first place. =D>
:shock: :-k

But my name isn't Mrs The Morris

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 February 16 3:54 pm

She suggested the Q&A on virtuals. So it's a 50/50 split :-)

WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 02 February 16 10:27 pm

the Monkey King wrote:
WazzaAndWenches wrote:Thanks to The Monkey King for suggesting it in the first place and also to Mrs The Morris for the Q&A idea. =D>
:shock: :-k

But my name isn't Mrs The Morris
Refer to my modified quoted quote above :-"

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 28 March 16 11:44 am

Greetings fellow history cachers, I seek your thoughts.

I am in the process of developing a history cache series based on the history of the surf clubs in the area - several count among the first in the state. Anyway one site has a history wall with old photos inside the club. It is a public space, although you would need to sign in to visit. The club is open from 10am till late but there would still be times where you couldn't visit because its closed.

If I were to include a question which could only be answered if you were to enter the club to find it (ie on their history wall) which means that you would need to sign in and it would not be available 24/7 would this be a deterrent for you as a finder?

The obvious choice would be just to refer to the wall in the cache description and invite seekers to go and look but its got a fabulous series of old photos which I think would enhance the experience.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 March 16 11:54 am

It depends. If the cache is along way from me then this would be annoying if I rocked up at the wrong time and could not get in. However, if you post the opening times on the page, this would be less likely to occur provided I read the cache page. For me (personal opinion only) I like caches that are available 24x7 so they can be done at any time. Just a preference though as I never really know when I might be passing something and if I have to plan to be at a location at a time and place, then memory fails me.

Richary

Post by Richary » 28 March 16 5:56 pm

petan wrote:If I were to include a question which could only be answered if you were to enter the club to find it (ie on their history wall) which means that you would need to sign in and it would not be available 24/7 would this be a deterrent for you as a finder?
It would also be a problem for a cacher who lived within 5km, as they would need a member to sign them in. But then again not everyone can get every cache for whatever reason.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 28 March 16 9:43 pm

Not sure I would go for it but as long as it was clear on the cache page then why not give it a go?

petan
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Location: One foot on either side of the border (SE Qld/NE NSW)

Post by petan » 29 March 16 8:36 am

Richary wrote:
petan wrote:If I were to include a question which could only be answered if you were to enter the club to find it (ie on their history wall) which means that you would need to sign in and it would not be available 24/7 would this be a deterrent for you as a finder?
It would also be a problem for a cacher who lived within 5km, as they would need a member to sign them in. But then again not everyone can get every cache for whatever reason.
There are so many clubs (lifesaving, sports, RSL, etc ) in the area in either great locations or with good and/or reasonably price food in this area that most of us in this area join the supporters club of one club in order to use the reciprocal rights to visit other clubs.