Re: What can Geocaching Australia do for you in 2016?
In summary this is what we have been asked to deliver and what we delivered in response to specific requests. You can check out everything that was delivered in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=214886#p214886More players, but that's always a work in progress.
- Two games run this year with a few new players involved. The Summer Scavenger Series is also driving a very diverse geocache find and hide activity which is in early days yet, but looks promising. More caches = more cachers.New server?
- Due to be deployed on Saturday 17 December 2016. Unfortunately in our peak game period, but the only realistic time we can get the logistics together. We hope you understand.History caches
- Went live in January. There are now 57 in use around the country with a few more to be on their way as part of the Summer Scavenger Series game.Is there a way to better manage the locationless caches with large find volumes on the maps?
- Yes, we now zoom o the last log and as you move around the map and pause the logs from that cache in that map area will now show up.The ability to add gallery items during the log stage rather than as an extra few steps.
- Done. You can now add an image with your log.An app for "i" devices. Yep, I know someone external is currently playing around with a new GC app and is looking into adding GCA functionality. The sooner, the better.
- TeamMajEtJu is using the new Geocaching Australia API to develop a new iPhone app for Geocaching Australia. Public consumption of the new API will be available in early 2017.Geosportz please.
- Of course. Run this year as the winter game.Any chance we could have a reverse geocache type?
- Implemented and there are currently 2.It would be great to have an option to select "Is on my Planned List" when creating a query.
- Now part of the My Query capability
Things we didn’t get to do for various reasons.Search facility by coords for locationless.
o Not really viable.I have recently started researching locationless caches and I frustration I found quite early on is that there are a fair number that aren't technically locationless. I'd love it if these type of locationless could have the state you need to be in to complete them added to the attributes. This way I would stop looking at the Queensland bus one, for example.
o Classification to be reviewed as a community in 2017.Would it be possible to get stats on just the caches returned from a query?
o Not currently possible with the old server, but this may come up in a future release.The idea of an environmental cache where some form of "cleanup" or "environmental activity" would need to take place.
o No traction on how to get this done.Private caches
o They used to be referred to as private caches. A cache that is listed at this site, but is not visible unless you have some form of key / codeword / coords / etc. It can be done, but it's a very large task to exclude private caches from the general listings. The site is based on everything being available to everyone, so we would need to hide these caches from all searches, lists, logs, edits, etc. Not impossible, just large.I would love it if there was a way for me to turn my photos in cache logs around the right direction
o Coming after we implement the new server