Proposed new home page

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Re: Proposed new home page

Post by roundcircle » 17 August 15 10:52 pm

Zalgariath wrote:Liking the changes. While there has been debate as to the relevance of forums in today's social media driven world, I still think the forum is just as important to GCA as actually listing the caches. I'd like to see an obvious banner / button for easy navigation to the forum. Here is an example, also helps to balance the boxes which my OCD says is neater ;)
I agree with this. The number of clicks to get into the forum, in particular into the "New Posts" view, seems to be more than before.

Otherwise it looks good, though I am still working my way around. =D>

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 18 August 15 12:23 am

roundcircle wrote: I agree with this. The number of clicks to get into the forum, in particular into the "New Posts" view, seems to be more than before.

Otherwise it looks good, though I am still working my way around. =D>
I contrived a way to get View New Posts into my "My Favourites" menu. First I went to a page I didn't care about and clicked "Add Page to Favourites" from the drop down menu. This brings up a table of all my favourite pages (I have my finds list included here), with the unwanted page at the top. I then replaced the name of the unwanted page with "View New Forum Posts" or whatever works for you, and then replaced the unwanted pages part url in the box underneath the heading "Favourite" with http://forum.geocaching.com.au/search.p ... d=newposts

Now I have View New Posts in my list of My Favourites, so it only requires me to click on My Favourites and then View New Posts (this is still one more click than it used to be, but I like it better than going to the Forum and then clicking View New Posts).

Caveat emptor ... there's probably a better solution!

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 20 August 15 1:00 am

Zalgariath wrote:Liking the changes. While there has been debate as to the relevance of forums in today's social media driven world, I still think the forum is just as important to GCA as actually listing the caches. I'd like to see an obvious banner / button for easy navigation to the forum. Here is an example, also helps to balance the boxes which my OCD says is neater ;)
I like this idea to - given that the forums were once (and maybe still are) the main part of GCA I think that a prominent link there is worthwhile. And it would be good if the forums were easy to find for the newbies since everywhere else on the site it says "for help, ask in the forums"

Also, I feel the title could do with some jazzing up but not quite sure how... (I might try a come up with something over the weekend)

Other than that, I think the new home page is a great improvement! =D>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 August 15 9:16 am

Let me ask you to consider the following (all of which has been asked here, on facebook or privately).

I want a prominent link to the forum.
I want a prominent link to the "ask a question" page.
I want a prominent link to the Google Earth Network Link.
I want a prominent link to the "about geocaching" information.
I want a prominent link that we are associated with the GeoCreed to make sure we're seen as environmentally conscious.
I want a prominent link to My Page.

When everything is a prominent link, nothing is.

fluffyfish
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by fluffyfish » 20 August 15 12:53 pm

Best leave it as it is then......

Can't please everyone so up to the devs to decide.

We don't really want polls on every feature of the website.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 August 15 12:59 pm

We can make change. What we can't really do is cater for everyone's "I want a prominent link for ..." which will end up catering for no-one. This is why we have a favorites function. You want something frequently used, add it to the favourites. We could display all your favourites on the front page then everyone can have a prominent link to anything they want.