Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

10 Years as a listing service

Post by CraigRat » 05 January 15 2:09 pm

The 6th of January 2015 makes 10 years since the first Geocaching Australia geocache went live.

Amongst a fair bit of controversy, GA0001 - Asia Quake and Tsunamis Appeal (Australia) by Team Piggy was listed and kicked off what would become the second phase of life for GCA.

We would like to take some time to thank all people who have made Geocaching Australia what it is today.
Thanks to all the Developers, Administrators, Moderators, Senators, Hiders, Finders and Forum contributors, in fact: thanks to EVERYONE!

Without the whole communities input and assistance the wonderful game/sport/hobby/obsession of our we would not have got to the point we are at today.

2015 and onwards offer us some unique challenges, no one can deny the game has evolved significantly over the last decade.
We are currently in the active planning stage of upgrading our server to a new hardware platform that will allow us to improve our services to the Geocaching Community, all the while of course remaining Free and Open.

Here's to another decade of geocaching, Oz style!

Just a cacher

Re: 10 Years as a listing service

Post by Just a cacher » 05 January 15 5:29 pm

Congratulations to all! Great effort. Thank you for all your hard work.

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 05 January 15 9:40 pm

=D> =D> =D>

Great work guys, I have got a lot of enjoyment from GCA over the last few years, I don't know where you find the energy and dedication to keep this going as well as it does.

Thank you to all involved.

=D> =D> =D>

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 05 January 15 10:17 pm

=D> Congratulations on GCA's 10th anniversary - an awesome job by all involved! =D>

:-$

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 January 15 8:40 am

Yay! Go us :-)

I'd like to offer my 10 year thanks to the people who first thought of making an Australian version of the Geocaching game. Granted it started as a forum and then grew to incorporate cache listings, so it never started out to be a competitor to any other listing site. The vision of those who were involved early is startling. When I look at the code base, I can still see so much of the original design that is still in use 10 years later on. An inspirational architecture and design that has supported the site for 10 years now with little major change and only few minor tweaks here and there to some of the architecture.

A sincere thank you to all (I can't remember who) who were all involved at the start. Without their brave decision to create an alternative listing site, we wouldn't be here today.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 06 January 15 9:09 am

Wooohoooh =D> , happy anniversary, and lots of thanks to hiders, finders, movers, coders, moderators, and faeries. Although I'm not out finding as much as I used to I still haunt the forums and appreciate GCA's awesome features and the extras it adds to the caching experience. There are some good caching memories tied up in the last 8 years since I started caching and some of the best of them were heavily influenced by GCA. Thanks to all; may your smilies be plentiful, and, for the admins especially, may your servers be fast and well-behaved.

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » 06 January 15 10:46 am

Awesome stuff guys. Though social media may have quietened forums of all sorts over the past few years I think this year... oopps last year... I found myself gravitating more and more to GCA caches in my severely restricted caching time! Here is to another decade and good luck with the new servers!

spatialriq

Post by spatialriq » 06 January 15 3:11 pm

Happy Anniversary! I've only been caching for 3.5 years (GCA-ing for around 3) but enjoyed it thoroughly. Love the stats this site provides ... keep up the great work, and thanks! =D> =D> =D>

2y'stassies
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by 2y'stassies » 06 January 15 5:07 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> Happy Anniversary GCA an awesome effort from all those involved with setting up and keeping things running. Since starting our journey in 2010 we have appreciated the help given by the GCA faries and the users of the forum. Its much easier to ffind answers to our questions and manage our stats through this site. Well done and all the best for the next decade. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 06 January 15 6:55 pm

There is an amazing amount of work done here, congratulations to all :)

Richary

Post by Richary » 06 January 15 9:13 pm

Love the amount of free time given here to run the site by the various admins over the time, but also the great community spirit. The forums are slowly dying as has been mentioned because people are switching to local fb groups, but I won't stop looking here and chatting. The listings are a bonus, as well as things that the other listing site won't allow like virtuals or moveables any more. There are times a virtual is more appropriate than a physical hide, even if it won't get as many finds here.

Thanks to everyone involved since I seriously got involved in the hobby back in 2003 (even though I first registered on GC in 2001 but couldn't find any)!

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 06 January 15 9:35 pm

Congratulations guys! You've put so much work in so we could have some fun. :gnome :gnomette :frog :frogette

Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Team Ladava » 06 January 15 10:16 pm

Hear, hear to all the thankyou's and congratulations above.
All well-deserved by the recipients and participants.
We enjoy participating in the GCA form of the game/hobby/obsession and if we are travelling to a fresh location I search the offerings on GCA first as, for Australia, it is a better search engine than that other format then 'click through' to the 'normal' caches.
Cheers again
Ian & Sandra
Team Ladava

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 07 January 15 4:02 pm

As one who has been along for the ride for more than the 10 years I have always been in awe of the time and effort which has gone in to maintaining the database and my thanks go out to those who have kept the wheels turning.

The Morris
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by The Morris » 07 January 15 5:53 pm

Happy Anniversary everybody - when we stated in late 2005 this was the go to place for all things caching. I learned so much from t e forums - particularly that others view of the world of caching was often very different from mine. And that was okay.

I wish the GCA community well as it finds its way with all the changes to caching and alternative stat sites.