Free for caching with anyone feature?

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
mtrax

Free for caching with anyone feature?

Post by mtrax » 09 February 14 6:23 pm

I personally would love to an easy way to queue up a few days I could go caching with other people and some easy way to facilitate this.

If I nominate some days or times I'm free to cache and perhaps a rough zone/area people could also tag this queue as being interested.

eg this sat, morning around South Canberra.
People could then log some sort of interest and then hammer out details etc..

I'm not sure exactly how the design would go but perhaps if it was a special cache type eg Meet-up on Sat with some rough coords so people could search this location.
or perhaps a special dashboard/calendar.

any thoughts about this?

Note I know this is not for everyone, but its an attempt to add some more social aspects to the game for me anyway.

the Monkey King
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: The Monkey King @Au

Re: Free for caching with anyone feature?

Post by the Monkey King » 09 February 14 7:37 pm

Maybe create an event and list in the description which caches you want to find for the event?

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 February 14 10:17 pm

Nope, you aren't allowed to list an event with the intent being to go on a cache hunt. At least not on GC, you could do it here on GCA.

Better would be to post your intent in the ACT forum here or on any facebook group the ACT cachers use to find some locals who are going to be free.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 09 February 14 10:53 pm

We use Facebook for exactly this function.
I've attended caching expeditions on the Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail, the Geelong-Queenscliff Rail Trail, a night assault on Black Hawk Down and also a Tallest Tree in the Forest tree climbing day all facilitated using the Melbourne Geocaching Facebook page.
This is one area where FB shines. Not so good for other things, like discussions you want to find months later as it doesn't really have a search engine, that I know about anyway.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 02 April 14 10:07 pm

Richary wrote:Nope, you aren't allowed to list an event with the intent being to go on a cache hunt. At least not on GC, you could do it here on GCA.
I never quite understood that rule. Why ever not????

Richary

Post by Richary » 02 April 14 10:20 pm

tronador wrote:
Richary wrote:Nope, you aren't allowed to list an event with the intent being to go on a cache hunt. At least not on GC, you could do it here on GCA.
I never quite understood that rule. Why ever not????
No idea, it's just in Groundspeak's rules. Came across it when a North Wollongong area cacher modified an event that was initially listed as a gathering, to become a cache finding event after it had been published. I guess you could ask on the GC forums, but whether you would get a meaningful reply is a different question, it's not a place I generally go as the discussions are much more helpful here.
An Event Cache should not be set up for the purpose of gathering geocachers for a geocache search. If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community or it will happen without a Geocaching.com listing, it is likely not an Event Cache. Examples include concerts, fairs, sporting and scouting events.

LouiseAnn
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by LouiseAnn » 03 April 14 11:20 am

gmj3191 wrote:We use Facebook for exactly this function.
I've attended caching expeditions on the Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail, the Geelong-Queenscliff Rail Trail, a night assault on Black Hawk Down and also a Tallest Tree in the Forest tree climbing day all facilitated using the Melbourne Geocaching Facebook page.
Strangle, I have attended almost all of those gatherings..... :wink: