Navigate to GZ using Website map

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
blackadders
400 or more spectacular views seen

Navigate to GZ using Website map

Post by blackadders » 30 January 14 12:29 pm

Good Morning / Afternoon all,

Please excuse my naivety as the answer to my question may already be available. I have looked in the forum but with all the posts and no place that I can see to enter a search, I have not as yet been able to find any answers.

I am not an expert on new technology however I am slowly grasping the new gadgets released by companies that can be used for this hobby, in that regard I have acquired a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1.

Again it may already be available but not knowing where to find or access it, here goes

I log on to the AU site and do a search for caches in a postcode for example, I navigate to the map (google) and see all the teardrops of caches in the area. I see options to send to gps, phone etc. when selecting a cache but what about navigating to the cache using the site map?

As many are now using Ipads, Androids and smartphones nowadays, it it possible to do this? I understand that this modern technology allows downloads of applications for GPS etc. So can the map be integrated into the gps App or at least a default application?

It is difficult for us maturer buggers LOL to understand how to navigate to other apps in our, well my, dumbfangled whatchamacallit tablet.

Of course this would only apply to traditional and multi's etc.

Happy Caching and thanks in advance

Blackadders

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Navigate to GZ using Website map

Post by CraigRat » 30 January 14 12:41 pm

This isn't really possible in any practical way, sorry.

(The reason being is that the web page can only obtain limited data about your position (Lat/Lon only) Bearing, speed etc are not available parameters, therefore we can't add a 'follow the arrow' type screen to our webpage)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 30 January 14 3:22 pm

since you have a android tablet you could try installing GA Cacher App.
this can launch the Google Maps Navigate feature.

geo_jas
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by geo_jas » 30 January 14 4:54 pm

If you touch the GMap (Native) link on the right it should give you the option to send the location to any mapping app that you have installed and navigate from there.

The GA cacher app is a really good option as well. I use it all the time for GA.

blackadders

Post by blackadders » 31 January 14 10:34 am

Thankyou all for the responses,

I am pleased that you mentioned the GA Cacher application and I will give that a try, I also appreciate that the particular App includes GA caches. In the field it is tiresome navigating to another site (GC) to see the details and then try and navigate from there, also as mentioned, the GC App does not include the GA hides so we are missing out on many of those.

Thanks again for your wise suggestions,

Paul
Team "Blackadders"