Daily Update

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Re: Daily Update

Post by caughtatwork » 29 October 13 7:38 am

Renroc wrote:Thanks C@W what was the problem if it is easy to explain?? Was it the old original creation date or just a chance miss. Look forward to seeing it in tomorrow's update.
I think the QLD feed needs tweaking, so it wasn't being picked up.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 October 13 7:42 am

Renroc wrote:On another tack I am one of a number of cachers up in the north of NSW who do about as much caching in NSW as in QLD. It is very useful to get the daily update for both states but to do this I have had to create a "dummy" account for QLD. Is there any way to get both the QLD and NSW updates to the same email address? That would be a very useful option for those who live close to borders. OR VIC/NSW etc.

Cheers Sue
This has been asked for before, but I can't think of an easy answer. The code (and the method of selecting which daily email to get) are "old concept". i.e. In the olden days we set up your home state and you could get a daily email of the caches for your home state. Of course in the old days there were far fewer caches so you didn't have the same sort of problem as nowadays. The only thing I can really think of is kind of like the process we have for alerts. i.e. You set your home co-ordinates and a radius. Anything in that radius you get in the daily mailer. That would cover your desired area, regardless of state. Of course, I then have to consider someone who sets a radius of 10,000km to get everything, every day. Not quite ideal. Same sort of problem if we allow people to select a state. I just know some will select ALL states and bring the machine to its knees. The last thing I can think of is to either restrict the radius to say 500km or the selected states to a maximum of 3. Not ideal, but not much else I can think of.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 30 October 13 10:12 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Renroc wrote:Thanks C@W what was the problem if it is easy to explain?? Was it the old original creation date or just a chance miss. Look forward to seeing it in tomorrow's update.
I think the QLD feed needs tweaking, so it wasn't being picked up.
Thanks C@W what ever you did worked and yes it showed up the next day. In the NSW feed as it should seeing it is in NSW.

Cheers

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 30 October 13 10:16 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Renroc wrote:On another tack I am one of a number of cachers up in the north of NSW who do about as much caching in NSW as in QLD. It is very useful to get the daily update for both states but to do this I have had to create a "dummy" account for QLD. Is there any way to get both the QLD and NSW updates to the same email address? That would be a very useful option for those who live close to borders. OR VIC/NSW etc.

Cheers Sue
This has been asked for before, but I can't think of an easy answer. The code (and the method of selecting which daily email to get) are "old concept". i.e. In the olden days we set up your home state and you could get a daily email of the caches for your home state. Of course in the old days there were far fewer caches so you didn't have the same sort of problem as nowadays. The only thing I can really think of is kind of like the process we have for alerts. i.e. You set your home co-ordinates and a radius. Anything in that radius you get in the daily mailer. That would cover your desired area, regardless of state. Of course, I then have to consider someone who sets a radius of 10,000km to get everything, every day. Not quite ideal. Same sort of problem if we allow people to select a state. I just know some will select ALL states and bring the machine to its knees. The last thing I can think of is to either restrict the radius to say 500km or the selected states to a maximum of 3. Not ideal, but not much else I can think of.
Yep was probably me wot asked before too..;-) I will just continue with the dummy account as it has been working fine for a long time.
If it aint broke don't meddle with it.