Yet another request

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
WazzaAndWenches
5000 or more caches found

Yet another request

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 22 May 13 5:20 pm

GSAK has a great function that allows finds to be imported from the gps into a "publish logs" function. The field logs can then be edited and bulk uploaded to GC.
Is there such a feature for GCA logs?

caughtatwork

Re: Yet another request

Post by caughtatwork » 22 May 13 6:32 pm

Oh hell yes.
http://geocaching.com.au/my/import/
Select the device type and load the file.
Work pretty much the same way, but you can log them ALL with fewer clicks. i.e. No click and submit for each cache, just check them all, then hit the go button.

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 22 May 13 7:15 pm

Thanks for the prompt response C@W. Service with a smile (or curly hair) as always.

Will the GCA Import filter out GC caches and ignore them? Will that effect the file kept on the gps so that the GC's won't then be able to be uploaded into GSAK.
Will the GCA Import let me add comments to my log before it's published?

GSAK does a good job of handling GC caches. It imports the finds from the gps, allows log editing, handles trackables, then uploads the logs to gc.com
Unfortunately GSAK does not handle GCA's very well and they get ignored in the "publish logs" routine.

Ideally I'm after a way of importing finds from the gps into GSAK, have it handle GC as it currently does, and send GCA's to a routine built to do the GCA version of the GC "Publish Logs". Has anyone heard of a macro or similar that will accomplish this?

My GSAK database holds both GC and GCA caches. When out caching my gps points me to the next closest. I don't care if it's GC or GCA (although I'll usually drive further for a GCA than for a GC :D )

Make sense? Probably not. I know what I mean and I expect everyone to be able to read my thoughts

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 May 13 7:56 pm

Will the GCA Import filter out GC caches and ignore them?
Yes.
Will that effect the file kept on the gps so that the GC's won't then be able to be uploaded into GSAK.
It's a read only process. So whether it be from GSAK output, from your GPS or a text file you have on your computer, your original file remains untouched.
Will the GCA Import let me add comments to my log before it's published?
Of course. Load up the file (remember to choose the correct device). Then proceed to the next process (there's a link at bottom of the load processor). You get a big ass list of caches with all of the editing functions you would find on the log page. You can edit them in that list. You can also select any individual log to make a new log, save for later or delete it. Once you're done editing the logs, one button at the bottom makes the rocket go fast. Better than the GC version where you need to click every damn log, then save it.
GSAK does a good job of handling GC caches. It imports the finds from the gps, allows log editing, handles trackables, then uploads the logs to gc.com
Unfortunately GSAK does not handle GCA's very well and they get ignored in the "publish logs" routine.
I'm not quite sure what you're doing. I have a macro that when I'm finished with my logs in GSAK it creates a "field notes" file which I then load of GC and GCA. Same file. Both systems ignore the other sites caches. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. There is no API to load logs from GSAK to GCA. The macro I use is called FieldNotesImportAndLog.gsk It grabs the field notes from the GPS, allows me to edit them in GSAK, then outputs the field notes file which I load.
Ideally I'm after a way of importing finds from the gps into GSAK, have it handle GC as it currently does, and send GCA's to a routine built to do the GCA version of the GC "Publish Logs". Has anyone heard of a macro or similar that will accomplish this?
See above FieldNotesImportAndLog.gsk
My GSAK database holds both GC and GCA caches. When out caching my gps points me to the next closest. I don't care if it's GC or GCA (although I'll usually drive further for a GCA than for a GC :D )
That's very kind of you.

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 23 May 13 1:17 pm

I'm trying to upload my field notes from Geoshpere on the iphone. I'm only just setting it up and it's not working properly. I have the "Upload GCA Field Notes" bookmark set up in GeoShpere with the java script but what seems to be happening is that there is a radio box in My/Imports that says "Ignore logs prior to 23-May-13 13:05:00 (local) / 23-May-13 03:05:00 (GMT)", which seems to be preventing the upload. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 May 13 1:34 pm

If you've already loaded a file it sets that flag so you don't accidentally double load.
If you want to load the same file again, uncheck the box.

Tyreless

Post by Tyreless » 23 May 13 1:45 pm

caughtatwork wrote:If you've already loaded a file it sets that flag so you don't accidentally double load.
If you want to load the same file again, uncheck the box.
Thanks for the quick reply c@w. I had been resending the same log to test if it was working which explains why it worked once and then not again.

WazzaAndWenches

Post by WazzaAndWenches » 23 May 13 3:30 pm

G'day C@W,
I'm not quite sure what you're doing. I have a macro that when I'm finished with my logs in GSAK it creates a "field notes" file which I then load of GC and GCA. Same file. Both systems ignore the other sites caches. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing. There is no API to load logs from GSAK to GCA. The macro I use is called FieldNotesImportAndLog.gsk It grabs the field notes from the GPS, allows me to edit them in GSAK, then outputs the field notes file which I load.
I have used FieldNotesImportAndLog for a couple of years. Nowadays there is a better(?) option...
As of a few builds ago (v8.xx) GSAK has a "Publish Logs" routine hanging off the "geocaching.com access" menu.
"Fetch" from gps (or other source).
"Edit" each log as required.
Publish All.
A quick simple process. Works very well for GC's but, alas. it doesn't handle GCA's at all.

Being one of those computer experts that knows enough to be a problem but not enough to actually do anything useful, what's involved in developing an API to allow both read and write access to the database? Perhaps if the API existed then a macro might become a reality.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 May 13 10:40 pm

Aha.

We do have an API for logging but at the moment it's only turned on for mtrax's GA Cacher Android App.

I know nothing of the GSAK macro language and stuff. If mtrax is around, dude, can the API be used via GSAK? I'm assuming so.