how to bulk update movables? or user-defined PQ

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
mtrax

how to bulk update movables? or user-defined PQ

Post by mtrax » 17 November 12 2:37 pm

I am currently getting a PQ for Canberra which is normally fine except for movables ie if moveable well moves outside my PQ area I don't get an update in my PQ and therefor when I load my GPS up I get a whole bunch of caches that aren't actually there.

I suppose I could then load ALL GCA caches for the entire country but I would like a slightly more effective approach.
Would it be possible to build an API like GC to do a bulk update of caches in my GSAK DB?
ie I could upload a CSV or XML file with a list of caches and the website could pass back a PQ GPX file?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: how to bulk update movables? or user-defined PQ

Post by CraigRat » 17 November 12 3:27 pm

So something like feed us a list and we give you back stuff like cache status, current lat /long as a a result?

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 17 November 12 3:38 pm

Yes if I can build a macro which collects the requested caches and upload a list (in the most suitable format) the results would have to be something that gsak would understand or other apps eg GPX

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 17 November 12 6:06 pm

I'll have a play.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 23 November 12 7:35 am

Do you want me to try to send you some test data from GSAK or do you want to let me know what format you want?
One thing I haven't tested with GSAK is how I logon , I was assuming it would use the browser's cookies to authenticate but I would need to verify that.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 23 November 12 8:11 am

mtrax wrote:Do you want me to try to send you some test data from GSAK or do you want to let me know what format you want?
One thing I haven't tested with GSAK is how I logon , I was assuming it would use the browser's cookies to authenticate but I would need to verify that.
Do you know if GSAK can handle JSON?

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 23 November 12 8:32 am

CraigRat wrote:Do you know if GSAK can handle JSON?
reading or writing ?
I can't find any specific support for parsing JSON but outputting should be doable albeit building my own function, I would have to check with GSAK support site for more detailed knowledge.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 23 November 12 10:24 am

I'd prefer to use JSON if possible.
That way you could pass us a JSON array of caches and we could respond with a JSON reply a-la the caches API with the updated information in it.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 23 November 12 10:50 am

CraigRat wrote:I'd prefer to use JSON if possible.
That way you could pass us a JSON array of caches and we could respond with a JSON reply a-la the caches API with the updated information in it.
I would need to parse the json myself but looks like GSAK doesn't save cookies so researching a solution on that...

quiet1_au
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by quiet1_au » 24 November 12 7:43 am

A simple DIY method I use after doing my PQ updates is to click on the "Last GPX" column heading to sort by that date. Anything that's not the current date is (always?) moved/disabled/archived as a quick double-click and link click will confirm so can be quickly deleted (or in the case of those with corrected data, etc moved into another temporary database) Takes only a few seconds to do :)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 November 12 7:45 am

quiet1_au wrote:A simple DIY method I use after doing my PQ updates is to click on the "Last GPX" column heading to sort by that date. Anything that's not the current date is (always?) moved/disabled/archived as a quick double-click and link click will confirm so can be quickly deleted (or in the case of those with corrected data, etc moved into another temporary database) Takes only a few seconds to do :)
good tip but I guess it doesn't help if you actually want the data, ie you want to track some movables etc..