Emails when your cache is logged

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Emails when your cache is logged

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 10:00 am

At the moment, GCA will fire you an email when your cache is logged. This actually occurs at 5 minute intervals to ensure the user experience of logging is not held up behind the "send an email" function.

We put this together at the request of the community and that's a great thing, however, you get an email fired at you whether you want it or not. i.e. If you own a cache, you get the email, no two questions asked.

What I'm asking now is whether you would like the ability to "turn off" getting "logged" emails?

What say ye? What do you want? What level of granularity do you want?

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Re: Emails when your cache is logged

Post by roundcircle » 14 June 11 10:11 am

I want the email. But I can see how it might be good to be able to not get the email.

:)

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 14 June 11 10:13 am

If I had the choice of on or off, I would choose ON.

I go to the trouble of placing a cache, I want to know when I have had a cache found.

Needs Maintenance and possible DNF should be left on even if some one chooses off. How else do you let some one know that their cache is in trouble.

Zalgariath
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Zalgariath » 14 June 11 10:28 am

I may not be Vulcan but I fail to see the logic in placing a cache and then NOT wanting to hear about peoples experience with it?! :shock: You hide it, you get the emails as (a joyous?!) part of the deal I would have thought!

Keeper of Time
8500 or more caches found
8500 or more caches found

Post by Keeper of Time » 14 June 11 11:49 am

I want to get an email each time one of my caches is found just as we do now. I can not think of why in the future I would want that to change, even if I stopped caching ( [-X ) I would archive all of my hides and go and collect the caches.

If you want to offer a "no email" option that should only apply to find logs not SBA or maintenance requests.

Just my 5c (inflation you know) !!!

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 14 June 11 11:57 am

I agree with not being able to turn off the Needs Maintenance (etc) logs and whilst I would elect to keep getting my e-mails I may also wish to suspend them for a while if I was not going to be able to check my e-mails for a while, to prevent clogging my inbox.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 14 June 11 12:17 pm

Geez, since we're talking GCA caches, it's not like there's going to be very MANY emails! :twisted:

(Ah, I couldn't help myself!)

But, seriously... while I'm usually a proponent of more control being a good thing, I think log emails are something that can easily be ignored by the recipient if they like, but that the site shouldn't facilitate, given that log emails are the primary way that owners know that their cache needs maintenance.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 12:44 pm

2,379 total logs in the last 30 days means a paltry one every 20 minutes, so I'm not saying that an individual inbox gets overwhelmed :mrgreen:

The forced sending of an email does not mean it:
a. Gets to you.
b. Is not auto-trashed via a rule.
c. Is deleted manually without care for what it is.

If you're discarding emails before you read them, then is the site enabling your bad habits a larger problem?
i.e. If you are discarding the emails anyway, then SBA / maintenance / good feeling logs aren't being read anyway so the problem that the email should address, doesn't get address anyway.

Would it make a difference if the cache page said "The owner of this cache has chosen not to receive log emails"?

budgietas
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 14 June 11 2:49 pm

I know I read every log I receive on one of my caches, and until recently I was keeping them all. Now I read and delete, unless there is a comment that something needs to be looked at with one of the caches. For instance this log is still sitting in my inbox
----------------
Log Date: 6/7/2011
Tftc needs more paper
----------------
Obviously I will keep it until I fix the cache then delete. There is not much information / story in the log anyway.

Is there a large cost in sending these emails out? I am sure it would slow down the web site, but also it would be more bandwidth used?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 June 11 3:01 pm

Just one thing to remember in regards to NM logs... Most people seem afraid to use them and put a comment in their found/dnf log stating the cache needs attention...at least that's what I've found from my experience.

Ministro

Post by Ministro » 14 June 11 3:35 pm

CraigRat wrote:Just one thing to remember in regards to NM logs... Most people seem afraid to use them and put a comment in their found/dnf log stating the cache needs attention...at least that's what I've found from my experience.
But how can a reviewer fix what is broken if the owner doesn't if people wont post a SBA? (Thats a whole new thread)

What I have often thought would be nice is a summary email sent perhaps once per day/week. Here is a very rough draft as to what I was thinking.

XXXX you have new logs on your caches.

GAXXXX - Found by Freddo - ZZ/ZZ/ZZ
Blah Blah Blah Blah

GAXXXX - DNF by Firesafe- ZZ/ZZ/ZZ
Blah Blah Blah Blah

GAXXXX - Needs Maintenance by Skippy- ZZ/ZZ/ZZ
Blah Blah Blah Blah

Just simply to save spaming your inbox.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 3:38 pm

Ministro wrote:
CraigRat wrote:Just one thing to remember in regards to NM logs... Most people seem afraid to use them and put a comment in their found/dnf log stating the cache needs attention...at least that's what I've found from my experience.
But how can a reviewer fix what is broken if the owner doesn't if people wont post a SBA? (Thats a whole new thread)

What I have often thought would be nice is a summary email sent perhaps once per day/week. Here is a very rough draft as to what I was thinking.

XXXX you have new logs on your caches.

GAXXXX - Found by Freddo - ZZ/ZZ/ZZ
Blah Blah Blah Blah

GAXXXX - DNF by Firesafe- ZZ/ZZ/ZZ
Blah Blah Blah Blah

GAXXXX - Needs Maintenance by Skippy- ZZ/ZZ/ZZ
Blah Blah Blah Blah

Just simply to save spaming your inbox.
In addition to, or instead of an instant email?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 3:40 pm

budgietas wrote:I know I read every log I receive on one of my caches, and until recently I was keeping them all. Now I read and delete, unless there is a comment that something needs to be looked at with one of the caches. For instance this log is still sitting in my inbox
----------------
Log Date: 6/7/2011
Tftc needs more paper
----------------
Obviously I will keep it until I fix the cache then delete. There is not much information / story in the log anyway.

Is there a large cost in sending these emails out? I am sure it would slow down the web site, but also it would be more bandwidth used?
Bandwidth (argh,. I hate that term in this context) is minimal. It's more about what you want. If at any time you have decided you want no email (maybe you read every one of your caches every day, how do I know what your weird habits are), then you may choose to not have logs emailed to you. It may also only be a minority who want it, but if it's useful to some, then we do that. We're nice that way.

I'm not pushing any barrow here, by the way, it was just a thought that came to me that maybe some people don't want emails from GCA on their caches and there is no way to opt-out.

Ministro

Post by Ministro » 14 June 11 3:46 pm

caughtatwork wrote: In addition to, or instead of an instant email?
Aren't your mind reading skills up to date? :mrgreen: Instead of was what I was thinking :oops:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 June 11 4:10 pm

I'm still playing 20 questions.
If I were to use my mind powers for evil you would rue the day :twisted: