Sub Menus

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
caughtatwork

Sub Menus

Post by caughtatwork » 04 November 10 2:59 pm

Copied from another thread.
caughtatwork wrote:Cached is looking into a plan to reorganise the menu structure (thank you).

To help her see what submenus might look like, under your MY tab, your Hotlists are now on a submenu.
There should be a white right arrow head indicating a new submenu on that item.
If you hover over Hotlists you should get a new submenu.
If that's not working for you, you may need a fresh css file, so hit the F5 key while holding down the CTRL key.

It probably doesn't work in IE6, but does in IE7, IE8 and FF3.
Briggbottoms wrote:
reesylou wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Cached is looking into a plan to reorganise the menu structure (thank you).

To help her see what submenus might look like, under your MY tab, your Hotlists are now on a submenu.
There should be a white right arrow head indicating a new submenu on that item.
If you hover over Hotlists you should get a new submenu.
If that's not working for you, you may need a fresh css file, so hit the F5 key while holding down the CTRL key.

It probably doesn't work in IE6, but does in IE7, IE8 and FF3.
In FF3.6.6 I can get the sub menu, but do not see the arrow head, so have no indication there is a submenu.
I had to refresh the skinau.css (Ctrl-F5 should do it) to see the white arrow.
My concern is that this introduces a "more accurate mousing" requirement. Getting a menu to drop down from a tab currently is easy, the tab menus are 100 pixels wide or so, and it is easy enough to avoid the cursor slipping off and accidentally clicking on something else. With a horizontal movement required to get to a submenu, a slight mismovement frequently results in a random click on the page. Perhaps being able to select "Hotlists" in some way, to get the effect of pinning that sub-menu?

Cheers,
Briggbottoms
(trying not to get too :stabby )
caughtatwork wrote:The submenus are triggered by the hover attribute, so you can't pin them open.
What about I extend the "top" of the list so you get a "larger" area to move right with your mouse?

Briggbottoms wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:The submenus are triggered by the hover attribute, so you can't pin them open.
What about I extend the "top" of the list so you get a "larger" area to move right with your mouse?
Currently, I mouse to "My" directly from wherever the cursor is sitting - intuitive and easy - then mouse vertically down directly to "Hotlists" - fair enough - then mouse to "Watchlist" and all the menus fold away and my blood pressure ratchets up one notch. I then do it all again, but have to remember to move horizontally from "Hotlists", through the white arrow to the top of the sub-menu, then start moving down through the sub-items to the one I want. Don't mouse directly to the item I want.

The problem appears when the mouse cursor doesn't pass through the region of the white arrow before leaving the bounding rectangle of "Hotlists". Fixing that seems to require the hovering submenu to stay up until something on it is chosen, or something elsewhere is chosen.

Just sayin',
Briggbottoms

caughtatwork wrote:I understand your dilemma.
I do it all the time too :-(

As we use a CSS menu system, once you move away from the item you are hovered over, the hover trigger stops and the menu item no longer appears. As far as I have been able to determine, there is no pseudo class that persists a hover when you stop hovering over it.

We could redo the whole thing in javascript, but as I hate javascript with the fury of a thousands burning suns, that isn't going to happen. By hate I mean I will avoid writing and using wherever possible. It's also not consistent across browsers (kind of like CSS, but we at least got the CSS to work for most).

I'm not quite sure how to handle this, but I might start a new thread where the concept and challenge can be discussed.

Comments?

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Re: Sub Menus

Post by Cached » 04 November 10 4:49 pm

To be honest, I'd rather have more, smaller menus than submenus. The current system works on my phone, java likely wouldn't.

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found

Post by Laighside Legends » 04 November 10 5:51 pm

I'm not liking the sub menus. As cached said I would definitely prefer more main menus than sub menus

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 04 November 10 7:18 pm

I vote for more menus too becasue then you can see more options at first glance.

Otherwise you have to remember which menu to go to to find the sub-menus

rogerw3
8000 or more caches found

Post by rogerw3 » 04 November 10 7:20 pm

I too would prefer more main menus rather than sub-menus.
It makes it so much easier to find what you want.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 November 10 8:34 pm

Let me explain how the navigation came about.

There is the concept in the world of My and we can all thank Microsoft for that. So anything you want to do that is to do with you, you choose My. My stats, my queries, my account, my settings, my blog, etc, etc.

Then of course there are three main things that geocaching (in Australia) is about.
Caches, logs and swaggies.
You find and log caches.
You view logs.
You track swaggies.
Each one of them had a main menu item.

Thinking about work flow.
You want to "find a cache, in Victoria". Do you look for a Find menu or a Cache menu or a State menu.
You want to "log a cache, in Victoria". Do you look for a Log menu or a Cache menu or a State menu.
You want to "view a cache, in Victoria". Do you look for a View menu or a Cache menu or a State menu.
There are two common components to what you are doing. Things related to a cache or things related to your location.
As you can't spot a State menu, then anything to do with a cache itself, should be on the Cache menu.

Then at GCA, you can also look into Cachers. Stats about cachers, homepages, other contributions by cachers.
Similar concept to the one above. You want to find some stats about a Cacher, you select the Cachers tab. You want to see what logs cachers are liking, you can choose Logs or Cachers. 50/50 chance of getting it right. It could under either or both.

Tags are a little bit of a late comer to the party and they got their own tab because tags can be done on nearly anything. You can tag caches, blogs, etc, etc.

Community is a set of links off to community items like the forum and the gallery. Although the gallery could be under Caches or Logs as the gallery can be used for both. We could put it under all three or just one and we chose community, but that's a choice, not necessarily the BEST choice.

Of course the shop and help.

Now I don't deny that the more we add, the more the menu system could grow until it becomes a full screen of different choices. Some people think "I want to hide a cache" so I go to the Caches menu. Some people think "I want to make a log" so I go to the Logs menu. Others think "I want to hide MY cache" so I go to the My menu (and then have to work out it's on the account page). They might also think "I want to log a CACHE" so they go to the Caches menu, find the cache and log it. Some think "I want to write MY log" so they go to the My menu and can't find squat.

A good (better than ours) menu system should be intuitive, but as you can see above, I've just given 3 intuitive options for things and only one menu item is correct.

With all due respect to everyone, you don't think the way I do and I don't think the way you do and if we took a poll, you would probably find as many responses to "where should this menu item go" as you would respondents. Popular opinion is well and good, but then you are also excluding or making it difficult for people who DON'T think the way you do. So at the end of the day some will be 100% happy with the menu structure, some will be 100% unhappy (because they use IE6 which we don't support any more) and the remainder will be somewhere between unhappy and happy.

I'm sure someone like SamCarter would be more than happy to discuss normal distribution and confirm that you can't make all the people happy all the time.

So what we have is something that probably doesn't make anyone happy :-)

Now, having said that, let me say this.
Of course, we are always open to suggestions that help people who know the site, people who are new to the site, people who understand hovering, people who don't (you have no idea how many people click Caches rather than hovering over it), people who think completely differently to you or I.

Screen real estate doesn't lend itself to too many more menu items.

There is real estate for one or two more, depending on their title which defines their width. That's on a standard XGA screen. The wide screen people have more room to play, but we can't crowd out the other users. Did you know / consider them? Also think about people who have a different skin at GCA and therefore also get a few more pictures in the navigation area. they will be impacted if we fill the screen width with shorter menus. Please also consider (but very much in the minority) that the site administrators have 2 additional menu items, one for site administration and user administration. The user administrators have just the one additional menu item.

Further to the main menus there are also the subtabs on the cacher page. I know of at least 1 person who continually suggests that we move those subtabs from a horizontal layout to a vertical layout. Of course, that then cuts into the available screen width. Not a problem on a wide screem, but on XGA, simply cuts too much valuable real estate away.

So, on to the challenge.

There are 22 "my" related things, not including additional things you can do on your settings page.
There are 16 "caches" related things including stats stuff.
There are 2 "swaggies" things, new and view.
There are 4 "logs" things to view logs including stats stuff.
There are 7 "cachers" things, again, including stats stuff.
There are 2 "tags" things.
There are 4 "community" things.
There is 1 "shop" thing.
There are 5 "help" things.

Some of the pages like settings and cacher page have additional pages you can navigate to.
On your settings page, there are 20 different things you can set or change.
On your cacher page, there are an additional 8 tabs and a total of 30 other pages you can head to.

So all up, there are 63 pages you can navigate to from the main navigation, plus 20 from your settings and 30 from your cacher page.

That's a total of 113 total pages worth of information you can get to.

Now if we just consider the main menus, 63 navigation pages, all of which you can visit from any page on the site (excepting the forums which we'll just completely ignore for now).

There are 9 main navigation tabs which mean each has a average of 7 items, but as you can see in the real world, only one has the actual average number. Creating more main menu items doesn't remove the "clutter", it just spreads it around. We can certainly move some of the stats stuff for example to a stats tab. However that still leaves the concept of "my" with the single largest list.

If were to do as some have suggested in the past, add some of the settings activities such as forum stars, guru status, etc, to the My tab, that simply increases the number of items under My.

Also consider that (as some have said), sub menus work when you know what menu item a sub menu item is contained in. To avoid that you promote all items to the main level of navigation. You then have a great whacking list of things to choose from. If you want to move some of these items off that whacking great list, then you can embed them in individual pages, like the settings page. The problem them becomes one of having to visit many pages to find the item you are looking for rather than just hover around in the sub menus.

I've written a lot here, and that's not to discourage opinion and proposals. It's just some background on why the menu system looks like what it does. If we weren't interested in discussion I would just have ignored everyone. But we DO care about you and any newcomers to the site so we are interested in hearing proposals.

However, let's also be practical. If you say "I want more tabs and fewer choices" and that's the extent of your comment, again, with all due respect, it will probably be ignored. WHAT new tabs? HOW will you find things with fewer choices. WHAT should be sent WHERE?

Consider there are 113 possible navigation options and a lot of people dislike clicking, clicking, clicking, clicking to get anywhere. I think the general axiom is if you can't find it in two clicks from ANYWHERE on the site, then it's a useless function and should be removed. So somehow, you need to squeeze 113 (or at least the 63 that are on the menus now), into a "no further than 2 clicks" navigation structure.

Please give us you comments, but also please make them something we can use and avoid "more, less, fewer, shorter, longer: without a some explanation so we can understand what's going on in your head.

Laighside Legends

Post by Laighside Legends » 06 November 10 11:44 am

Who would have thought this much time when into the arrangement of the menus! :D
Nice to see everything is considered to the finest detail!

I'm happy with how they are now!

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 06 November 10 1:54 pm

Sub Menu - hope this helps
Apologies for the break in transmission. Normal "helpful" comments may now be resumed

Richary

Post by Richary » 06 November 10 7:01 pm

One thing I would like to mention which is a slight tangent but related to C@W's comments about screen real estate is that more and more people (myself included) are using netbooks. Especially on the road simply due to their portability. This particular one runs a screen resolution of 1024x600.

It is amazing the number of sites I visit that just don't handle the resolution. The Roads & Traffic Authority traffic maps here in NSW is one since they recently changed it. Options get crowded out by other boxes and so on, and there are also some websites where the vertical menu that drops down is too long for the screen so you simply can't get to the bottom menu options (at least without doing Ctrl-Minus to shrink the text size).

And without being a developer I can see that it is going to be hard to design an interface that works just as well for someone with an ultra high resolution 21" screen and someone using a Nokia phone :|

Cached

Post by Cached » 07 November 10 9:05 pm

I've got an idea that might keep everyone happy, but have to try and make it visual - too hard to describe!

honeysucker
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by honeysucker » 08 November 10 9:58 am

to me it seems like you all are trying to rewrite the wheel for the sake of a few photocaches and the rare traditional cache why not just use Geocaching.com it is all there and works very well.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 November 10 10:14 am

honeysucker wrote:to me it seems like you all are trying to rewrite the wheel for the sake of a few photocaches and the rare traditional cache why not just use Geocaching.com it is all there and works very well.
It's NOT all there and it doesn't "just work".

Some reading for the uninitiated:http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/GCA_vs_GC

If you want to discuss this in any detail there are other threads on the site about it. Let's keep this thread on topic as the menus are an important thing we need to revue.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 November 10 10:17 am

A few photocaches and the rare traditional cache?
I think that's an understatement of why the Geocaching Australia site exists.

Trouble with geocaching.com is that it's NOT all there. A great deal of it is there and Geocaching Australia fills the niches that aren't present at geocaching.com

Accepted that a significant percentage of these caches are TrigPoints (which GC does not handle).
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/g ... cumulative

23K cache finds doesn't seem to be a "few photocaches and the rare traditional cache".
http://geocaching.com.au/stats/graphs/g ... cumulative

But back to the topic at hand.