GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Discussion about the Geocaching Australia web site
Chasburgs

Re: GeGnome ][ Electric Boogaloo

Post by Chasburgs » 14 December 15 1:47 pm

Ok reread the rules - it's been 14 days and mine hasn't even moved yet. Am I allowed to move it once into a more high traffic area? Where it is is high traffic but obviously not high GCA traffic :(

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 December 15 1:54 pm

Chasburgs wrote:Ok reread the rules - it's been 14 days and mine hasn't even moved yet. Am I allowed to move it once into a more high traffic area? Where it is is high traffic but obviously not high GCA traffic :(
Yeah, why not. The game is about fun, so if you want to do that as a 'once off', then go for it. It's not exactly in the rules, but it's also within the spirit of fun and getting gnomes moving.

Chasburgs

Post by Chasburgs » 14 December 15 2:23 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Chasburgs wrote:Ok reread the rules - it's been 14 days and mine hasn't even moved yet. Am I allowed to move it once into a more high traffic area? Where it is is high traffic but obviously not high GCA traffic :(
Yeah, why not. The game is about fun, so if you want to do that as a 'once off', then go for it. It's not exactly in the rules, but it's also within the spirit of fun and getting gnomes moving.

Thank you :) will only be a once off!

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 14 December 15 6:36 pm

Sorry Chasburgs. I was in Adelaide last week and I eyed off Mr Snip Snip but he was just too far in the wrong direction. From my brief snap shot I'd say North of Adelaide is where the action is.
If he's still about in January, I might be able to give him a Tasmanian holiday if you wish? I was a bit hesitant to gnap too many Adelaide gnomes as I wasn't able to provide replacements but whilst no plans have been made, I suspect I'll be back over in the New Year.

spatialriq
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by spatialriq » 14 December 15 8:02 pm

If anyone's caching in the North of Tassie, feel free to move my gnome (ga7811) ... only one move back at the start of the comp :cry:

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 December 15 8:47 pm

A few in Sydney seem to be getting stuck for a while (apart from a Canberran raid over the weekend). Problem is the ones I can easily get haven't had 2 moves since I last found them.

Maybe that rule should be relaxed i.e. if it hasn't moved for a week (or 2) then you can find and rehide providing there has been one move in between rather than two - yes I realise the original rule was there to stop a pair of cachers just finding/moving/finding/moving etc ad nauseum but if we had the week break in between moves then that would stop any "cheating" that way. There seems to be less active players in Sydney this time around (though good to see a couple of new ones).

I didn't hit anything last weekend though I had some personal things going on dampening the enthusiasm - but then there didn't seem to be many I hadn't already had the last move or the move before that I could have gone for anyway.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 December 15 8:14 am

Sure, sounds like a good compromise. New rules added.

If the GeGnome has not moved within 7 days and you were not the last geocacher to find or move it then the "rule of two other finds / moves" does not apply and you are free to move the GeGnome again.
If the GeGnome has not moved within 14 days, even if you were the last geocacher to find or move it then you are free to move the GeGnome again.

Let's keep those GeGnomes moving.

Chasburgs

Post by Chasburgs » 15 December 15 9:27 am

nutwood wrote:
Sorry Chasburgs. I was in Adelaide last week and I eyed off Mr Snip Snip but he was just too far in the wrong direction. From my brief snap shot I'd say North of Adelaide is where the action is.
If he's still about in January, I might be able to give him a Tasmanian holiday if you wish? I was a bit hesitant to gnap too many Adelaide gnomes as I wasn't able to provide replacements but whilst no plans have been made, I suspect I'll be back over in the New Year.

Absolutely welcome to :)

And caughtatwork - awesome change to the rules, quite fair too, thanks :D

ziggiau
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: ziggiau

Post by ziggiau » 15 December 15 1:27 pm

I like the new rules. It helps keeps things ticking over where there is not a high density of :gnome players. The game has certainly been a learning curve for this newbie moveable player.

Richary

Post by Richary » 15 December 15 10:24 pm

Those new rules seem excellent :gnomette

Though if I find one I moved 14 days+ ago I will just be logging a move and not a found - maybe a note when I pick it up so people know it has gone before I get to place it again. As finding something I know where I hid it doesn't quite seem fair :gnome

Now_To_Morrow
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by Now_To_Morrow » 16 December 15 10:31 am

Richary

Post by Richary » 16 December 15 8:17 pm

With the new rules I went and retrieved one I had found and moved on Day 1 of the game obviously to a bad area, surprising as it wasn't that far from the station but nobody went for it. I will move it back closer to home but somewhere I know it will get collected. Wrote a note to log it as taken.

Also grabbed a new one that had come up from Canberra last weekend on the way to work today as I had to drive, so will relocate that one as well.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 17 December 15 4:56 pm

Richary I see how your poor gnome has been sitting at Denistone since day one! I must try and get down there. I've moved a few locally but am struggling this season with work so I've been guilty of transporting gnomes around in the car for days without placing them. Thankfully they're currently all off my hands.
I haven't even managed an entry this year, having entered all the previous races since they were just plain old Sistemas.

cachem8

Post by cachem8 » 17 December 15 7:48 pm

Just found out about the electric boogaloo (and GCA) really enjoqing it! Next year I'll send off a gnome :gnome :gnome :gnomette :gnomette

Sol de Lune

Post by Sol de Lune » 17 December 15 8:15 pm

cachem8 wrote:Just found out about the electric boogaloo (and GCA) really enjoqing it! Next year I'll send off a gnome :gnome :gnome :gnomette :gnomette
No need to wait til next year....you can still get involved now for this year.

Just remember, Cerberus is your friend..... :cerberus ....and don't listen to anyone from Griffin :D :D :D